Durango to Silverton Layover Train Package
Combine your choice of select lodging in two of Southwest Colorado’s distinctive and historical towns with a scenic roundtrip excursion on the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. Customize this layover package by choosing the lodging and train service to suit your tastes and budget. Add additional nights or other activities for additional package savings and a memorable Colorado getaway!
Day One – Arrive Durango and explore the historic town. Check into your hotel, where you’ll stay at your choice of select Durango lodging options. Take in the cool summer evenings and the historic charm of Durango. Enjoy one of our world-class restaurants or even a fun and entertaining evening at the Bar D Chuckwagon (cowboy dinner and live musical/comedy show).
Day Two – The next morning get ready to board the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, which winds through the spectacular and breathtaking canyons in the remote wilderness of the two-million-acre San Juan National Forest. You will relive history with the sights and sounds of yesteryear on this 1882 adventure from Durango to Silverton, Colorado. The steam-operated locomotives are maintained in their original 1923-1925 vintage condition.
In Silverton, you will enjoy a one night’s stay at one of our historic lodging partners. The historic mining town of Silverton offers breathtaking mountain scenery, many restaurants, and quaint shops to browse.
Day Three – You’ll have the morning in Silverton to do as you please. To experience the beautiful scenery and history of the high country, consider making time in Silverton for a tour of the Old Hundred Gold Mine, explore the area with a rented side-by-side Polaris RZR, or go on a guided high country 4 x 4 tour (Suburbans, ATVs, or Polaris RZRs available). Ask us about these various options.
Be sure to be back to Silverton in time to be in your train seats 15 minutes before your scheduled train departure time for your return trip back to Durango. Your train ride is about 3.5 hours, getting you to Durango in time to enjoy a fabulous dinner, local entertainment, and your last night at your Durango hotel.
- Three (3) nights lodging (1st night in Durango, 2nd night in Silverton, 3rd night in Durango)
- Layover train tickets for the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad
- Free admission to the Durango and Silverton Railroad Museum at the Durango Depot
What to wear and bring:
- An overnight bag for your stay in Silverton
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, and hat
- Water bottle and snacks
- Layers and jackets for high-elevation, cool mountain temperatures
Optional Discounted Package Ad-ons:
- Extra nights lodging
- Train upgrade to Deluxe, First-Class, or Presidential seating
- Silverton Activities: Old Hundred Mine Tour, 4×4 Tours, ATV/UTV Tours, Polaris side-by-side rentals
- Durango activities: Bar D Chuckwagon, Rafting, Mesa Verde National Park, Horseback riding, Zip Lining, 4×4 Tours and Rentals, Hot Springs, Massage
Items to note:
Train tickets for children under 5 are free if seated on an adult’s lap, but if you need a seat for them, you must purchase an additional child’s ticket.
Have questions? Call 866.675.6900 to speak with a local travel consultant.
We’re happy to help!