Experience two of the most sought-after attractions in Southwest Colorado: Mesa Verde National Park and the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. This discounted package includes one or more nights in Durango, Cortez, or inside Mesa Verde National Park, a round-trip ride on the historic Durango & Silverton Train, and a half-day, private or full-day guided tour of Mesa Verde, one of only twenty World Heritage sites in the U.S. This is one for the bucket list!
- Round-trip tickets on the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, including entrance to Depot Railroad Museum
- Half-day, private or full-day professionally guided tour of Mesa Verde National Park
- One or more nights lodging in either Durango, Cortez, or inside Mesa Verde National Park (or a combination of locations!)
- Admission to the Durango train museum
Day 1 – Durango Train
- Spend first night in Durango.
- The next morning, take the coal-fired, steam-operated Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, which winds through the spectacular canyons of the remote two million-acre San Juan National Forest. Relive history with the sights and sounds of yesteryear on this 1882 adventure from Durango to Silverton, Colorado and back. Save time before or after your ride to visit Durango’s Railroad Museum, located in the rail yard roundhouse, featuring full-size locomotives, maps, photos, artwork, memorabilia, and authentic collectibles. While in Silverton, you’ll have time to enjoy lunch and stroll this historic town’s quaint shops.
- You will return to Durango early evening, when you can browse the downtown shops, have a fabulous dinner at one of Durango’s many fine restaurants, and listen to some live music downtown.
Day 2 – Mesa Verde National Park
- Enjoy Mesa Verde National Park with a full-day, private or half-day professionally-guided tour. Learn about the history of the Ancestral Puebloan’s culture. See their magnificent cliff dwellings of hand-hewn stone from over six centuries ago! The readers of Conde Nast Traveler magazine rated this internationally known treasure “the #1 historic monument destination of the world!”
- The all-inclusive, full-day, guided tour includes your roundtrip transportation from Durango to Mesa Verde, a delicious boxed lunch, refreshments and all Park fees. Enjoy a fascinating journey through time with a modern interpretation of the architecture, anthropology and culture of the ancient Puebloan peoples.
- The half-day tours (4 hours) begin at 8:00 am or 1:30 pm. The professionally-guided tours include a comfortable motor coach ride to various archaeological sites and include short hikes on simple trails. Drive to Mesa Verde National Park (about 50 miles from Durango), and pay the Park’s entrance fee ($15 to $20 per vehicle – depending on dates of travel). Tours depart from the Far View Lodge, located inside the Park. You might also choose to do a private tour.
- After the tour, spend an optional last night (or more!) back in Durango (or Cortez, or inside Mesa Verde National Park)
Optional Discounted Add-ons:
- Add extra nights to your trip (in Durango, Cortez, Silverton, and/or Ouray)
- Add a horseback ride to your itinerary. Located near Mesa Verde National Park. Many rides to choose from in the Ute Tribal Park or in the mountains (two-hour, half-day, and full day rides available).
- Train Car Upgrades and an Optional Motor Coach Upgrade can be selected (higher cost) – upgrade to include a coach bus on one leg of your journey or a deluxe, first-class, or Presidential-class car (based on availability).
- Other discounted activities in Durango: Bar D Chuckwagon, rafting, jeep tours, zip-lining, massages, etc.
What to wear and bring:
- Water bottle, light snacks
- Comfortable walking shoes and layered clothing
- Sunscreen, sunglasses
Items to Note:
- This trip can be done in reverse. For example, you may spend the first night at Far View Lodge inside Mesa Verde National Park. Then, do a half-day tour the next morning. Afterwards, head to Durango to spend the night, and ride the train the next morning.
Call a local, friendly agent at 800-828-4228. We’re happy to put together the perfect trip to meet your needs!