Start out your day of adventure departing Durango for a shuttle drive to the historic mining town of Silverton, by way of the scenic Million Dollar Skyway. From there, your tour guide will take you for an exciting 4×4/Jeep ride to explore the historic ghost towns, snow-capped peaks and high-country wonders of San Juan County's mining country.
After your off-road exploit, you’ll depart Silverton aboard one of the area's favorite attractions – a one way ride on the famous Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, bringing you back to Durango in time for dinner. Want more out of your trip? Add rafting, Mesa Verde tours, hot air ballooning, a sailing charter or an evening show!
- Shuttle ride from the Durango Train Parking Lot to Silverton.
- A guided 4×4 Tour of Silverton’s high country (approx. 3 hours).
- Leisure time in Silverton for lunch and shopping.
- A one-way, 3.5-hour train ride on the D&S Narrow Gauge Railroad.
- Train tickets include entrance to the Depot Railroad Museum in Durango.
|8:00 am||Meet the bus/van in the Durango Train Parking Lot (located just west of McDonald’s). Parking is $8/day. Check in with driver and depart for Silverton.|
|10:00 am||Arrive Silverton|
|10:15 am||Explore the high country of Silverton on a guided 4×4 tour.|
|1:00 to 1:15 pm||Arrive back in Silverton for lunch (on your own) and shopping the quaint stores.|
|2:15 pm||Board the historic train on Blair Street for your return train trip back to Durango.|
|2:30 pm||Train departs Silverton for Durango|
|6:00 pm||Arrive back to Durango’s Depot|
WHAT TO WEAR AND BRING:
- Water bottle, snacks, and camera!
- Be prepared for changing mountain weather and temperatures. Wear comfortable walking shoes and layered clothing. Bring a warm jacket and rain gear.
- Sunglasses, sunscreen, and hat.
ITEMS TO NOTE:
- For the shuttle drive, you will need to bring a car seat for your children, if required. Colorado Car Seat Law requires children up to 8 years must be in an appropriate car seat or booster seat.
- Kids 4 and under dan ride on your lap in the train. But you must purchase a train ticket if you want them to have their own seat. Kids under four need to purchase a seat on the 4×4 Guided Tour.
- Wear clothes that you do not mind getting dirty (from the train).
- Wear sunglasses on the train to protect your eyes from possible cinders.